REAL is a community coalition, open to all who invested in building a safe, equitable, antiracist community where all can thrive regardless of the color of their skin, ethnicity, religion, sexuality, gender, or any other aspect of identity. REAL envisions a community that embodies inclusion, equity, and justice as values central to identity. REAL is committed to building a safe community where all people experience dignity and respect, and all are welcome with kindness and belonging.
The Racial Justice Committee meets the first Thursday of the month at 6:00 p.m.
Members of the public are welcome and encouraged to attend.
Zoom link to meetings are posted on Front Porch Forum.
- The Myth of Race by Robert Ward Sussman
- The Color Of Water (A black Man’s tribute to his white mother) by James Mcbride
- Miracle At Saint Anna by James McBride
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks by Rebecca Skloot
- The Spook Who Sat By The Door by Sam Greenlee
- Revolutionary Suicide by Huey P Newton
- Writing My Wrongs by Shaka Senghor
- Malcom X by Alex Haley
- The New Jim Crow by Michele Alexander
- The Rose that Grew from Concrete by Tupac Shaker
- The beautiful Struggle by Ta-Nehisi Coates
- Between The World And Me by Ta-nehisi Coates
- Song of Solomon by Toni Morrison (any of her books)
- Devil In The Grove by Gilbert King
- My Beloved World by Sonia Sotomayor
- Becoming by Michele Obama
- Manchild In The Promised Land by Claude Brown
- Hidden Figures by Margot Lee Shetterly
- Roots by Alex Haley
- The Color Purple by Alice Walker
- I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
- I Am Not Your Negro by James Baldwin